Engaging Your People! September 27, 2009Posted by solutionsbconsultants in Accountability, Business Improvement, Improving Personnel Performance, Increase Profitability.
Tags: human capital, human resources, Manage by walking around, management, mission statement
A common theme has cropped up in several of my recent engagements. A perceived (and actual) communication gap between direct reports and their supervisor.
Here are some actual quotes, “I think John is here only to draw a paycheck”; “My boss has no idea about what is going on in the business and doesn’t have a clue as to what I do. . .”; “I wonder if my company really has a game plan.”
These issues didn’t happen overnight but they can be solved in a relatively short period of time. Here are a few tips. . .
1) Manage by walking around – If you live in an office with a door, make sure you spend no more than 20% behind closed doors and the remainder (outside of meetings) with your direct reports and internal/external customers. Ask what is going on and how you can help facilitate their mission.
2) Communicate clearly what the company (and your department’s) mission statement is.
3) Have regular (agendized) formal meetings with your staff as well as brainstorming and social (lunch or outside the office) sessions. Make sure you are getting and giving feedback so people don’t think they are working in a vacuum.
4) Compliment and recognize those that are doing a great job.
5) Collect and post KPI’s for your department.
6) Use the phone or in-person approach instead of relying on email or memos.
Today, every department is running lean so it is easy to disengage from your staff. Take the time to put the “human” back into Human Capital by engaging your staff!
Solutions Business Consultants are specialists in cutting costs and expenses without sacrificing employees™. We take an enlightened look at a company’s spend and create innovative cost savings methodologies which bring money to your bottom line!